For 12 years, virtually the only exposure Troy Anderson has had to the outdoors has come in a 90-square-foot room.
At one end of the room are two slits in the wall that are 6-inches wide and 5-feet tall. The slits are covered with metal grates. On one wall of the room is a chin-up bar.
This, Colorado Department of Corrections officials argued in a lawsuit Anderson filed, satisfied the constitutional requirement that Anderson, a prisoner at the Colorado State Penitentiary, be given outdoor exercise opportunities.
In a ruling issued last week, a federal judge in Denver disagreed and ordered prison officials to allow Anderson to exercise in a place with no roof where the rain can fall on him and the wind can blow at him.
(Photo: Colorado Department of Corrections)
- normanshapiro likes this
- fuhtuhwuh reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- thegreatcompromise likes this
- silas216 reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- silas216 likes this
- rav3nus reblogged this from kropotkinskaya-station
- worduplookoutforthecops likes this
- kropotkinskaya-station reblogged this from becauseithinktoomuch
- jocicausa likes this
- isdavidcameronacommunist likes this
- lonelyvagabond likes this
- simplyki likes this
- thunderwingmatrix reblogged this from becauseithinktoomuch
- thunderwingmatrix likes this
- becauseithinktoomuch reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- magiclasso likes this
- thepeoplesrecord reblogged this from denverpost and added:
- thepeoplesrecord likes this
- chuckystorch likes this
- theaboveground reblogged this from ziatroyano
- jamie-reads-thenews reblogged this from denverpost
- thowdoff reblogged this from denverpost
- ziatroyano reblogged this from denverpost
- dallasmorningnews likes this
- librarianpirate likes this
- denverpost posted this